CMT:

CMT1A is a rare (1:5,000) hereditary motor and sensory demyelinating peripheral neuropathy (also known as Hereditary Motor and Sensory Neuropathy, HMSN) which is caused by an intrachromosomal duplication and consecutive toxic overexpression of the PMP22 gene on chromosome 17. CMT1A is one of the most common inherited peripheral nerve-related disorders which is passed down through families in an autosomal dominant fashion. CMT1A disease becomes evident in young adulthood and slowly progresses with distally pronounced muscle weakness and numbness. Pain can range from mild to severe. The disease can be highly debilitating with patients becoming wheel chair-bound and is often accompanied by severe cases of neurological pain. There is no known cure for this incapacitating disease.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Biggest Achievement Yet!

Physical Therapy is getting more intense! Along with doing my stretches every time which already takes a lot out of me. I have started to add something new to my everyday physical therapy routine! I am laying on my back/sitting up a bit and lifting up my leg about 8in off the bed. I am holding each foot up for 20 seconds. Brandon's face when I first did it, well shock about covers it and then he just clapped! :) I groan and scream out a little bit during it, but I did it!!! It is my biggest achievement yet!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Great, great, Tya!! Keep on...smiling.

    Ema

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This girl is on fire!"
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Hi, it's Melani, aka layingingrass/soulshine from YouTube.

    Let me know if you're interested in incorporating a series of yoga poses into your routine. I'd be more than happy to come up with a flow of poses for you. Yoga has helped me recover from an injury, and decrease joint pain. You can message me on Facebook if you'd like to accept my offer. <3 Melani aka Butterfly

    ReplyDelete